We are proud that our McKinney efforts strive to reflect a middle school concept both in our mission statement and our practices for all students, grades seven and eight. Through our hard work – from the first couple weeks' purposeful transition plan for rising 7th graders all the way through the final quarter's engaging interdisciplinary Rainforest unit for 8th graders – we aspire to the National Middle School Association's "This I Believe" statement for middle school educators:
I have chosen to be a middle grades educator, for I recognize that the years of early adolescence are pivotal and abound with individual potential and opportunity. Therefore, I will care for these students personally, listen to their voices, respect their concerns, and engage them in meaningful educational experiences that will prepare them for a promising future. I believe that every young adolescent …
- Has the capacity to learn, grow, and develop into a knowledgeable, reflective, caring, ethical, and contributing citizen.
- Must have access to the very best programs and practices a school can offer.
- Must be engaged in learning that is relevant, challenging, integrative, and exploratory.
- Faces significant life choices and needs support in making wise and healthy decisions.
- Thrives academically, socially, and emotionally in a democratic learning environment where trust and respect are paramount and where family and community are actively involved.
- Deserves educators who are prepared to work with this age group, who are themselves lifelong learners and committed to their own ongoing professional development and growth.
Therefore, I proudly dedicate myself to becoming the best middle grades educator I can be and an active advocate for all young adolescents (http://www.nmsa.org).
Every middle school student is enrolled in art, English, health, mathematics, physical education, science, & social studies. Besides year-long Band or Orchestra options, each student will grow through some middle school exploratory courses. While 2012-13 scheduling logistics prevent students from requesting specific courses, there are many engaging learning experiences -- both old and new -- sure to support this middle school philosophy.
For additional information about McKinney Middle School, please contact the school @ 937.767.7224 to speak with the Guidance staff or Administration.